Visa Lottery Still Open For Fijians: Cefkin
The United States of America Diversity Visa Programme (visa lottery) is still open for Fijians to apply for.
This was confirmed by the US Ambassador to Fiji, Judith Cefkin, in an email response to the Fiji Sun yesterday.
She said the US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on January 26 temporarily suspending entry into the US of foreign nationals from seven countries.
“The Diversity Visa Programme (visa lottery) remains in effect for Fiji and the other Pacific Island countries,” she said.
“The US Embassy in Suva will continue to provide high quality service to immigrant and non-immigrant visa applicants from the South Pacific region.
“The suspension will allow the US Government to review current screening procedures, while protecting national security.
“The travel restrictions imposed by the Executive Order do not apply to the citizens of other countries, unless they are dual-nationals of one of the seven designated countries.”
She said the US government’s national security visitor screening procedures were constantly refined to more effectively identify individuals who could pose a threat to the United States.
“The executive order imposes a 90-day stop to entry into the United States by nationals of certain designated countries: Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Libya, and Yemen,” Ms Cefkin said.
“The US Government is dedicated to facilitating legitimate travel and enforcing control of borders.
“When in the United States, foreign nationals are subject to US immigration law, which includes provisions for deportation.”
The embassy in Fiji has clarified that information posted on a fake website is false.
The embassy in an email response stated the embassy it was aware of the website alleging that the US had instituted a limit of 100 visas for Fiji per year.
The embassy said the information was false and the it had requested people to visit their website www.travel.state.gov for authoritative guidance on the process of travelling to the US.”
The fake website had earlier posted that US President Trump had signed an executive order placing a quota on the number of visas to be issued by the US Embassy in Suva to Fijians.
“The executive order, which bans seven countries from visiting the US granted Fiji only 100 visas per year and would be valid for only three months as a clause in the order requires reciprocity,” the fake website had posted.
Source : fijisun.com.fj February 1, 2017