It was a lucky escape for a family of six after a fire engulfed the top floor of their double-story house along Gaji Road in Samabula, Suva.Home owner Samuela Nawalowalo, 62, said the fire started around 12pm on Thursday caused by an electrical wiring fault from one of the rooms.
“We never knew about it. We were still inside the house when we got a shock the fire started from one of the rooms of the house. We tried to sustain the fire but it was too late,” he said.
Mr Nawalowalo, who is confined to a wheelchair, said all of their belongings were destroyed in the fire with an estimated damage cost over $100,000.
“When the firemen came the fire was worse. It was too late but they managed to contain the fire from spreading to the bottom flat,” he said.
“I am also thankful to the Fire Authority they saved half of the house.”
The retired accountant’s family had occupied the top storey while another family was renting the three-bedroom flat downstairs.
Mr Nawalowalo’s family will now be confined to a single room at the bottom storey of the house and a small corrugated-iron house behind their home while trying to rebuild their lives.
National Fire Authority chief fire officer Qionilau Moceitai confirmed the fire started around 12.15pm.
He said two fire trucks were sent from the Suva Fire Station and one from the Valelevu Fire Station to attend to the burning.
Mr Moceitai said they could not disclose further information until investigations were completed
Source:fijiconnectlounge 25 June 2016