I could write a book about all the benefits of oats and it still wouldn’t scratch the surface. This is such an amazingly healthy grain that it’s hard to believe people used to think this was just a weed. Oats came back into fashion in the 80s when a health craze swept over the nation. Oat have the most soluble fibre of all grains and have many health benefits:
1. Lowers cholesterol: A study showing people who ate a bowl of oatmealevery day lowered their cholesterol by 20%.
2. Stabilises blood sugar levels: Oats keep you fuller for longer without sugar highs and crashes.
3. Lowers the cancer risk: Oats have high levels of fibre, which lower oestrogen levels which prevents cancer.
4. Reduces high blood pressure: 1 in 3 adults has hypertension. Oats are high in soluble fibre which helps to reduce hypertension.
Keeps bowel movements regular: The high fibre content helps speed the passage of the bowel through the body reducing constipation.
6. Helps you lose weight: Oats help you feel fuller longer which curbs your appetite. Studies have shown that children who eat a bowl of oatmeal a day are 50% less likely to suffer from obesity.
Improves athletic performance: It has been shown that oats alter metabolism and enhance performance if eaten about an hour before exercise. (Green Thickies make the perfect pre-workout drink)
7. Oats help to have a longer healthier life: Oat of all the grains, oats have a higher better balance of protein, and a good balance of essential fatty acids. Oats have a great range of vitamins and minerals and beta glucan which helps the body to heal quickly.
Share with everyone you know….