Boy, 6, Electrocuted In Lami
A father’s wish to see his only son in his school uniform for the first time has been shattered.
Timoci Kaivu, a merchant seaman, is still on the high seas, unaware that his son, Tomasi Kaivu, a Year One student of Veiuto Primary School, was electrocuted near his home in Lami Village at about 4pm last Friday.
His wife, distraught Timaima Ravanua, 28, said she could not contact him.
She said he was expected to arrive on Tuesday.
“This is going to be a heartbreaking news for my husband when he arrives on Tuesday. He was looking forward to seeing my son in school uniform and he promised to buy him a bicycle when he returns,” she said.
“Our family is trying to come to terms with the death of our only son who just started school about a week ago and as parents we were looking forward to seeing our child grow and live his dream to become a teacher; it feels like our whole world has come to a halt,” she said.
Mrs Ravanua said she picked her son up from where he usually gets dropped off by the school bus.
“We came home and he changed his clothes then went to the washroom, all along I thought he was still around the house until his cousins informed me of what had happened to him; I was shocked and ran to see what had happened,” she said.
Mrs Ravanua said Tomasi followed his cousins to the shop; where he tried to hide from his cousins between the shop and the old taxi base.
She said he leaned on the congregated iron of the taxi base where a live electric wire was hanging.
“When I went to the place where the incident happened; his body was lying between an old shop and a taxi stand; in between them lay a broken live electric wire,” Mrs Ravanua said.
Tomasi was originally from Yavitu Village, Naceva, in Kadavu. He is survived by his sister and parents.
Police spokesperson, Inspector Atunaisa Sokomuri confirmed the incident.
“His friends found him beside an old taxi stand where he was electrocuted; then they informed his mother; his body was taken to the Lami Health Centre; the body is currently awaiting post mortem at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital.”
Meanwhile, the Fiji Electricity Authority could not comment on the issue when contacted yesterday but confirmed that they were aware of the incident.
Source : Fiji Connect Lounge. January 31,2016