Did You Know The World’s Oldest Marathon Runner is an Indian? Meet the Turbaned Tornado Fauja Singh!
When asked how he managed to run the 26-mile marathon, 89-year-old Fauja replied: “The first 20 miles are not difficult. As for the last six miles, I run while talking to God.” At 101, he ran the London Marathon in 7 hours and 49 minutes. 104 today, he continues to run for fun.
Here is some extraordinarily inspiring facts of an Indian who overcame adversity to become the world’s oldest living marathon runner.
* He ran his first marathon at the age of 89 years, he completed the marathon in 6 hours and 54 minutes.
* Fauja Singh would eventually become the oldest marathon runner, having participated in eight marathon races from 2000 to 2011.
* He set the world record in Oldest human to run a marathon category by crossing the finishing line in 5 hours and 42 minutes.
* The funny fact is that he arrived at his running coach in 3 piece suit on day 1, only to be later informed the kit required for running a marathon.
* When asked about the secret of his running prowess and his longevity, Singh has said there is no secret formula: “My diet is simple — phulka, dal, green vegetables, yoghurt and milk. I take lots of water and tea with ginger. I go to bed early, taking the name of my rabba (God) as I don’t want all those negative thoughts crossing my mind.”
* The icing on the cake, however, was to come on 16th of October, 2011, when Fauja Singh became the first centenarian to complete a marathon, the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, his time 8 hours 11 minutes 6 seconds.
* Fauja Singh has carried the Olympic torch on two occasions – at the 2004 Athens Olympics and the 2012 London Olympics.
* Fauja’s last marathon race was when he participated in and completed the Standard Chartered Hong Kong marathon on Feb 24, 2013, just five weeks befor he turned 102. His timing was 1:32:28 for the 10 km race.
* He donates most of his income from Marathon Heroics to charity.
Team Inspiring Young India salutes The REAL SARDAAR among us and wishes many of you will be inspired to wake up in real sense and actually believe in full conciousness that they can achieve anything.
The quote “If you can dream it, you can achieve it” should be the mantra that will push us to achieve greatness in life.
Wish you too will have a long and successful life like our young hero of the story our own birthday boy TURBANED TORNADO FAUJA SINGH…
Get Inspired. Keep Inspiring…