No Bail For Father Of Three Charged With Rape
Case transferred to High Court
A 46-year-old Vatuwaqa man charged with the rape of a 29-year-old woman after a night of drinking kava was refused bail on Monday in the Suva Magistrates Court.
The Court heard that the accused allegedly raped the woman on March 22, 2018.
The defence lawyer said the accused had been out drinking kava with his friends and had a few glasses of Johnny Walker whisky, after which he met up with the woman and they had consensual sex.
The lawyer also said her client was surprised that the woman had filed a complaint with the Police.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Farook Mohammed served the accused with full phase disclosures and objected to his bail on the grounds that the accused and the complainant were neighbours.
He said it was a planned attack and the complainant was treated in an inhumane manner. Sergeant Mohammed said it was a scary experience for the complainant.
The alleged incident happened at 3am and the complainant suffered injuries and was allegedly threatened by the accused.
Sergeant Mohammed also said the accused allegedly removed the complainant’s clothes and threw them away after he saw that she was bleeding.
The defence submitted that the accused was a first offender and had three children who depended on him.
The Court heard that the accused was employed as a cargo foreman and had been without work for five days while he was remanded. They also produced two sureties; the older brothers of the accused.
After considering submissions from both parties Magistrate Waleen George refused bail for the accused and remanded him custody.
She also transferred the case to the High Court for the first call on April 9, 2018.